Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sprichst du Englisch?

My dear readers we have been on quite a cross country adventure. I've spoken so many languages in the past 3 days that my mind simply slips into "not English" mode. I've begun asking questions in German then replying to people in Spanish. And the really funny thing is that once most Italians realize I don't understand what they're saying in Italian, they begin speaking to me in German, even though I speak English to Barrett. On the other hand, I've been complimented by two Italians on how clearly I annunciate in English. They said they could understand almost everything I said. Two points for being able to speak my native tongue!

To that end our latest exploits have lent themselves to being multi-lingual.

Last weekend we travelled to an Italian antique market in Marostica, a walled castle town. You can see the wall on the hill above the town square. It circled the medieval city, which sits on the side of a hill.


This is the entrance to town. I'm not sure what the building is used for now, but it sure looks impressive.


I used my superior lack of understanding Italian to bargain for this antique bucket-of-a-thing, which was once used to carry fruits and vegetables to market. My bargaining tactic is to look at them like I have no idea what they're saying (which I don't), and then start to walk away once they say a price (I do understand Italian numbers). Once I start to turn away the price begins to drop. I continue to look confused until they start to say things like,"Regalo! Regalo!" which means, "it's like a gift at that price lady!" Barrett and I stand triumphant with our purchases (and our oldest nephew) outside the city wall.


For the last 3 days we've been in Garmisch, Bavaria, Germany staying at a NATO resort. My nephews call it "the hotel with two pools." It has an indoor pool and a gigantic outdoor hot tub. I felt like a movie star relaxing in the hot tub with the steam floating up around me as I gazed out at the Bavarian Alps. The hotel (and whole town for that matter) provides stunning views of the slopes.


One of the nifty things about driving from northern Italy, through Austria, into southern Germany, and then around Bavaria is that there are castles everywhere. They just pop up on hill tops. We made a special trip out into Bavaria to see some of the castles of Ludwig the Second. This monarch is rapidly becoming my all time favorite. He was a few french fries short of a happy meal and spent money like it grew on trees. Of course he had a hard time separating reality and fairytales, so maybe he thought it did. But thanks to him you can stumble onto views like this.




Neuschwansteim, the second castle, was dedicated to the works of Wagner. While the interior of the castle was not completed at the time of Ludwig's death (when the money tree died as well), all of the finished royal rooms are bedecked in murals depicting scenes from Wagner's operas. One room was even created to look like a cave, complete with stalagmites and stalagtites, to go with the operatic scenes in the adjoining room. Barrett says every guy needs a man cave.

On an unrelated note, this castle was the inspiration for the Disney World castle.

Getting up to see the castle required some figuring. It had snowed recently so buses weren't running. And a 40 minute uphill walk really isn't doable for a 2 and 4 year old. Clydesdales to the rescue!


Barrett and I were snug as bugs on the ride through the forest, which had views that make fairy tales seem very possible.




Too bad we already bought that other house...drat!


The view from the hotel paled in comparison to the view from the castle windows. If that doesn't make your pants fancy enough, they had even figured out how to centrally heat the whole castle. Of course Ludwig had large ceramic heaters too in all of his private rooms. Sorry. No pics of the rooms. It was not allowed. Say it in a German accent for fun. Eet vas noot aloud.


When we weren't hobnobbing with the rich, famous, and deceased, we enjoyed the simple pleasures of the Bavarian Alps. Food!

Yippee for strudel...


...and hot chocolate...


...and hot chocolate where you blow your own bubbles.


We visited the local church in Garmisch.




And wrapped up one night with schnitzel, sausages, German beer, and...


Lederhosen!


My parents arrive tomorrow for a week of sightseeing and feasting. The agenda includes Venice, Padua, Verona, and Rome. Bring on the Shakespeare!

Aufidersen,
Megan

2 comments:

  1. So glad that you guys got to visit Garmisch and Bavaria. I lived in Germany for 5 years when I was younger and have fond memories of a ski vacation in Garmisch with my grandparents. My Grandpa kept saying "I'm skiing in the Alps, I'm skiing in the Alps" the entire way down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love reading your blog. And in case you were wondering, yes I said that with a German accent, outloud, at work.
    "eet vas noot aloud" haha!

    ReplyDelete