Saturday, February 27, 2010

Things I Learned in Mexico

Dear Reader,

In two days we depart for Italy. Our Mexican and Floridian adventures are behind us. One would think that after spending a month in a foreign country; living, learning, eating, and interacting with a new and different culture, that I would have discovered some deep truths about the world and myself. Maybe I did... Perhaps I could roll the experience around in my mind and type my thoughts up as an offering to the importance of international travel and cultural understanding. Perhaps...

But instead I'm going to post a selection of the funniest photos I took on the vacation!
Let's just admit that we'd all enjoy that more anyway.

So when we arrived in Guadalajara it was Jan. 1. And in Mexico that means all of the Christmas decorations are still up, including a life size nativity scene in the plaza. Apparently the donkey that the Holy Family rode into Bethlehem on had a bad case of Montezuma's revenge.



One thing that you learn really quickly about Mexican happy hour is the procedure for two-for-one drinks. Be prepared to get both of your drinks at the same time. Also be prepared to ask if the margaritas are frozen or on the rocks. Barrett's pants were fancy this evening (and a little girly), but he doesn't look too bothered by it.



I don't know who this is or what he's mad about, but it's hard to take him seriously with a pigeon on his head. I don't think the statue is fulfilling its original purpose.



Barrett's parents came for a visit and were fascinated by his facial hair. The bearded Barrett was captured on film for the sake of posterity.



One day on our beach trip we were walking through town, and well... Funny things you see in Mexico.





Running through the fountains means you'll visit Guadalajara again one day. It also means you'll have one wet shoe and look like you had an accident in your pants. Praise the Lord for warm weather.



These pics are from Florida. Alicia is the bride's name. Barrett's first two friends at law school were Alicia and Dharma. We've all traveled to each other's weddings in Puerto Rico, Oklahoma, and now Miami.



After the wedding we visited friends a couple hours north of Miami in Ft. Pierce. We had time to see the county fair and watch my friend's brother compete in the regional hog showing competition. Nothing excites Barrett more than bacon on the move. I was just excited to spend time with Sarah and Freddy.

You can check out Sarah's website full of gorgeous handmade paper products at http://www.etsy.com/shop/relove. Everything on the site is made from recycled paper products, so it's unique and good for the planet.





The first two months of our extended vacation have been wonderful. Making new friends. Visiting with old friends. We're looking forward to being with Barrett's sis and our nephews in Vicenza and to posting pictures of our new house once the deal is finalized.

The next blog will be from Italy!

Packed and ready,
Megan

3 comments:

  1. How exciting! I love reading along with your adventures. So the big question is, is Barret's facial hair also going to Italy? Or did that get left behind in Florida?

    safe travels, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The facial hair has arrived in Italy! God help us all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! These pictures made me laugh out loud! And I love the line 'nothing excites Barrett more than bacon on the move.' I'll never go to a hog show (again?) without that running through my head.

    ReplyDelete